HIRING: GENERAL MANAGER
Ilkley Lawn Tennis and Squash Club is already one of Yorkshire’s leading sports clubs providing fantastic tennis, squash and fitness facilities in an outstanding location. The club plays a vital role in developing its sports in the region as well as providing a superb range of activities to its members.
The club annually hosts an ATP Challenger 150 Men’s and ITF 100 Women’s tournament with combined price money in excess of $250k. These events attract players in the top 50 of the world rankings and wild cards into Wimbledon
The club is seeking an effective General Manager who will maintain and accelerate this rate of improvement and lead the team to a different level.
This is a key role, where you will need to inspire and motivate a team to deliver exceptional service whilst maintaining rigorous standards in all we do.
The ideal candidate will have proven general management skills ideally in the hospitality sector – experience of a tennis, squash and fitness organisation may be an advantage but is not essential, however a passion and ability to build an outstanding operation is.
As the job holder the General Manager will need to possess strong interpersonal and organisational skills, with strong commercial and financial awareness and the mind-set and skills to influence change. It is important that whilst driving this Club forward, you will be able to deliver meticulous standards when managing member needs.
For further details of this position, please see below for a job description.
Interested? Please forward your CV and a covering letter to Simon Bentley, Hon. Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org or post it for his personal attention to Ilkley Lawn Tennis & Squash Club, Stourton Road, Ilkley, West Yorkshire LS29 9BG.
Closing date for applications: Monday 18th October 2021
Ilkley Lawn Tennis and Squash Club
Position: General Manager
Reports to: The Board of Directors
The primary objective of this role is to manage all aspects of The Club to ensure that high quality facilities and services are provided to its Tennis, Squash and Fitness members.
1) To ensure the integrity and continuing development of The Club’s internal systems and financial controls, together with compliance with relevant statutory obligations.
2) To oversee the development of both junior and senior tennis and squash players
3) To manage and develop staff to improve the ‘customer experience’ while promoting efficiency and excellence.
4) To contribute to the growth in services and infrastructure, ensuring the long-term future of The Club.
KEY SKILLS REQUIRED
1) Management of staff within a service environment
2) Financially and IT aware with demonstrable experience of budget responsibility
3) Strong interpersonal skills – i.e. ‘Front of House’ presence to project the club externally and handle staff and member issues.
· membership administration
· attending main committee and sub committee meetings.
· maintain and build upon the excellent relations with outside stakeholders such as the LTA and England Squash to ensure we are at the forefront of best practice in our sports.
· operation of all court and activity booking systems
· facilitating the governance and management meetings (Board, AGM, Members and sub committees)
· co-ordination of all club sporting events
· handling member queries/issues
· promoting the Club through publicising its activities and taking responsibility for all internal and external communications. Ensuring regular communications with the local media.
· communication processes that ensure members are well informed of club issues, activities and events
· ensuring staff and volunteer members work effectively to ensure a strong and vibrant programme of events and activities.
· actively identifying and recruiting potential club and event sponsors.
· awareness of competitive offering from other clubs and advising the Board of Directors on opportunities or threats.
· ensuring that all departments operate to agreed kpi’s
· assist in the building and recommendation of the annual budget together with on-going budget control.
· recommendations to ensure the club’s financial objectives are achieved.
· management of financial procedures & controls to safeguard club assets and provide accurate data for the monthly accounts.
· recruitment, training, on-going development, management and motivation of staff to ensure a culture of excellence.
· management of all professionals contracted to the club and recommendations of any contract renewal terms to the Board of Directors